Keyboard Issue

Report your issues here

Keyboard Issue

Postby chiorboli » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:55 am

Hi all,
I'm facing an issue with the actual french keyboard layout. Let me explain :
From my iPad 2 (still in iOS 4.x) I'm trying to connect to either my MacBook Pro or my iMac (with azerty bluetooth keyboard), but without success. As both of these devices run under Lion, when I open a session from Remoter VNC, the Lion login screen appears. So I enter my Mac login password and it fails ! After further investigation, this problem is due to a wrong mapping of the "0" key. Indeed when I enter a "0" from the virtual iPad keyboard it sends a "à" instead. I've had a look to the mapping file 020French.rkl but can't figure out what is wrong inside. Moreover, numbers from "1" to "9" are working fine. Any other solutions except removing the "0" from my password ?
chiorboli

Re: Keyboard Issue

Postby raf » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:10 am

That's interesting.
You will most likely have to modify the keyboard layout to correct this problem in French.
Looking at it, I don't see anything that stands out as wrong. 0 is generated just like the other numbers.

Have you tried any other mapping, like "Direct"?

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby chiorboli » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:48 pm

Yes I do and it's the same behavior event with direct or UnitedState keyboard layouts. I never get a "0" but a "à" instead !!!
Therefore I've upgraded my iPad to iOS 5, and you gess what ? Still the same wired behavior !! How this can be a device related problem ?
chiorboli

Postby raf » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:36 pm

No, this is not a problem with your device. It has to do with the way the Mac interprets the keyboard event.
Remoter sends: "0" in direct mode. Using a keyboard mapping it sends what's defined in the mapping file.
For some reason your Mac is interpreting the "0" as the accentuated "a". Let me do some more investigating to see what I find out.
If anybody else has any ideas or insight, please let us know.

Thanks,
Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby chiorboli » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:11 pm

Ok, thanks a lot Raf. I'm looking forward to any solution...
chiorboli

Postby Max_B » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:24 am

Hi,
Ive been investigating this issues also. No success so far. There are a few keys which are not mapped through the rkl, whatever you do in there.

I'm posting an improved French Keyboard layout, with accented characters, missing from the standard one. There seems to be a problem between keyboard mapping Mac/PC and even Mac-small/Mac-extended. If you open the keyboard viewer on a Mac with a VNC session open, the type a char on Remoter, you'll see the keyboard viewer switch to extended layout. It might be source of false mapping. But I was not able to find a solution for the 5 non working keys listed on top of the attached file, up to and including 0 (zero). All are shifted keys. This is too bad since those keys are useful: #%_>0

All accented chars works as expected from iPad keyboard, if french keyboard is active on the Mac side.
Attachments
021French_accented_Mac.rkl.zip
(1.27 KiB) Downloaded 493 times
Max_B

Postby chiorboli » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:01 am

Thank you Max_B for the updated keyboard layout.
You're right : that's too bad for those 'special' keys !!!
chiorboli

Postby raf » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:17 pm

I've added this new layout into Remoter 3.2.1 as an alternative French layout. I can't test it myself, but can you let me know if I should simply replace the old French layout?

Thanks,
Raf
raf
Site Admin

Postby Eddyk4 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:19 pm

Max_B wrote:Hi,
Ive been investigating this issues also. No success so far. There are a few keys which are not mapped through the rkl, whatever you do in there.
This is too bad since those keys are useful: #%_>0

Same problem here when I connect to a Lion machine.
No problem connecting to Snow Leopard (one more reason to not update all machines!)
Eddyk4

Postby raf » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:38 am

I've added some extra hooks in Remoter VNC 3.2.1 that allows it to forward keyboard events to RemoterFusion (requires remoterfusion add on of course). I might be able to fix some of your problems this way. We'll see when 3.2.1 is approved.

Thanks,
Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Next

Return to Support